Firearms and Explosive Department

Firearms Header

Welcome to the Merseyside Police Firearms and Explosive Department.


 Renew Your Application Notification of TransferApply for a Visitors Firearm/Shotgun Permit Apply for an Explosives Certificate

 Grant Explosives Individual Grant Explosives Corporate

Apply for a Storage Licence Apply to Vary a Firearm Certificate 

Firearms Dealer Registration Apply for the Grant of Firearm and/or Shotgun Certificate












Form 201: For Firearms & Shotgun Grant or Renewal Applications

Follow the Instructions on form 201 & return together with 2 passport photographs and a cheque or postal order made payable to "PCC for Merseyside":

£88.00 for the grant of  a firearms certificate

£79.50 for the grant for shotgun certificate

£62.00 for the renewal of a firearms certificate

£49.00  for the renewal for a shotgun certificate

Send the completed application through to the following address;

Firearms & Explosive Department,
Merseyside Police,
PO Box 59
L69 1JD

Contact the Firearm Registry on 0151 777 8479/8 or email

Any applications made for the variation of Firearms must be on Form 201v, photos and referees are not required, however a payment of £20.00 (increase variation) made payable to "PCC for Merseyside" is payable. 

Coterminous Grant & Renewal Fees

When applying for a Coterminous Grant the fee payable is £90.00, when applying for a Coterminous Renewal the fee payable is £65.00, please make cheques payable to "PCC for Merseyside".

Air Weapons Licensing in Scotland

The Scottish Government is introducing a new licensing system for most air weapons in Scotland.

From 31 December 2016, you will generally need a visitor permit to use, possess, purchase or acquire air weapons while in Scotland.  This includes buying an air weapon, someone giving one to you, or simply having an air weapon in your possession.  If you already hold a valid firearm and/or shotgun licence issued in England or Wales before 31 December, and you are not planning on buying a gun while in Scotland,  you may not need a permit until your existing certificate expires or is renewed.

Applications for visitor permits (or full air weapon certificates) should be made to Police Scotland who will decide your application and deal with any questions you have about the process.  You can download the appropriate application form from or  When complete, it should be sent to Police Scotland at:

Air Weapons Team

Police Scotland

Clyde Gateway

2 French Street



G40 4EH 

You can also get further information on air weapon licensing, including information on exemptions from the need to hold a certificate, at